Love Always, Sister Welling

Love Always, Sister Welling
"I promise that because of your faithful response to the call to spread the gospel, He will bind up your broken hearts, dry your tears, & set you & your families free. That is my missionary promise to you & your missionary message to the world" — Jeffrey R. Holland

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

THE CONFERENCE WAS INCREDIBLE!!

WEEK EIGHTEEN
 


Dear Family,

Elder Echo Hawk spoke about an experience he had.  He was in a meeting in the temple, soon after he had been called into the First Quorum of the Seventy with the leaders of the church.  He was called upon to bear his testimony.  He said that standing there in front of the presidency of the church, the prophet and His apostles, he talked about the two missionaries who taught him the gospel.  He spoke of them by name.  Elder Echo Hawk a member of the quorum of the Seventy whose testimony has blessed the lives of I can only imagine how many people, his testimony began from the teachings of two missionaries.  As I sat in that meeting listening to Elder Echo Hawk all I could think about was how sacred and powerful my calling truly is.  In my notes from the conference I couldn't stop writing about the gratitude I was feeling to be a missionary.


Yes, I got called on to speak. They told everyone to come prepared and that they would randomly call on four missionaries.  I wish you could have felt how hard my heart was pounding when they called my name last.  Sister Sabiano could feel it (that's how bad it was) but she put her arm around me and told me I could do it (grateful to have a mother figure on the mish) and it was so strange because when I went up I wasn't nervous at all.
I decided to speak on not fearing and having faith.  It’s my favorite subject because It’s something I'm always striving to work on and to improve.  I had prepared a talk but when I got up there my talk went a completely different direction.  I have never once in my life felt the spirit work through me as powerfully as I did then.  I'm not sure if my talk made any sense at all.. but I believe I said something for at least one person listening because I was completely led to thoughts and words I had not prepared previously.

Elder Echo Hawk talked about how the Lord calls upon weak things of the world.  Think about Joseph Smith- a fourteen year old boy with such little education.  Why didn't he go to the University and choose the most learned professor..
It’s because God works through weak things.  As we set aside our fear, our inadequacies, our weaknesses.  He works with us-- He works through us.  I know this to be true with everything I am.  I know that to employ the power and the strength our faith must be founded on something.  There is no more solid foundation than faith in the love Heavenly Father has for you, faith in His plan of happiness, and faith in the capacity and willingness of Jesus Christ to fulfill all his promises.

Family this church is true.  And I love it with everything I am.

I'm a little nervous going into this new transfer.. but I'm just trying to remember to trust and to have faith.. and all will be well.  :)

The conference was incredible.  I love any opportunity we have to hear from President and Sister Revillo. 
Sister Revillo spoke about discovering the Book of Mormon over and over again.  She talked about the power in the Book.  She posed this question that really made me think-- how can we say we truly love our Heavenly Father if we don't read the scriptures that He has given to us.  If we don't study His words every day, If we don't pray every day.  To study the scriptures is not only a commandment but it is a way that we show our love.  It is a way that we show our appreciation to our loving Heavenly Father.  Through reading the Book of Mormon our Father speaks to us.  I know that there is power in the Book of Mormon.  The promise from Joseph Smith is real that "a man would draw nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book".  I love the Book of Mormon and I truly treasure the time I get to spend reading, studying, and learning from it.

President Revillo spoke about how special this time of our life is, and that as we truly understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ we will have no problem in our mission.  I love when he talks about his mission, and how every blessing he has received in his life has come because of his service.  He has mentioned this fact a few times and I always love the way he says it with such sincerity.  President Revillo always leaves me wanting to be a better missionary.  He spoke about the talents parable found in Matthew 25- He spoke of the importance of not idling our time and using it wisely, using our talents wisely.  The servant who was only given one talent, buried it because he was afraid of man.  It made me think of the times when I have been "afraid of man" afraid to speak and say something wrong, afraid to use the language, afraid to approach people. But I have found that each time I trust in the Lord, trust His strength, and His ability to assist me I have been able to use my talents to the best of my ability.  I have seen Him work through me.  He wants us to grow and progress, we have to be grateful for our strengths and our weaknesses because through Him we can "double our talents" we can receive His help and become exactly who He has designed us to be.

I was so touched by Sister Echo Hawks spirit.  Wow, the power of her testimony.   Both she and Elder Echo Hawk were converts to the church and you could truly feel of their love for missionaries and missionary work.  Through her speaking I not only felt of her love but the love of our Heavenly Father for His missionaries, and for His children. 


This Saturday was the baptism of our four investigators.  Macmac, Totoy, Dianne, and Mary Gold.  Family I would have given anything for you to be there.  To feel the spirit that filled that room.  I just cried.   Macmac came out of the water smiling so big.. then broke into a laugh.  Mary Gold, who refused to get up in front of everyone and bear her testimony went to the front of the room and bore a genuine, confidant, powerful, beautiful testimony.  We sang "I stand all Amazed" as missionaries and as I sang the words to that song I felt the love of my Savior like I never have before.  I am so grateful for my Elder Brother, for the influence He has on my life and the way He changes each person who draws near to Him.  It’s amazing how I have felt myself draw nearer to Him than ever before through helping others get to know Him.  It’s funny how that works?

Macmac was really nervous to bear his testimony and so he would only go up if I went with him.. so I held his hand and stood next to him as he bore his testimony for the first time.  Then it was Totoy's turn and as I turned to him and told him it was time he grabbed my hand as well and so everyone laughed as I went up for a second time.  Gosh. I loved it. and I love them.  I was so proud (well pleased) of my boys and of Dianne and Mary Gold. 

Sister Sabiano left yesterday morning.  I closed the door after she left, sat down and cried.  I'm such a girl. ha.  I will be eternally grateful for my trainer Sister Sabiano.  I will be eternally grateful for the lessons that she taught me.  I will be eternally grateful for the influence she has had on my life.  I learned through her the missionary I want to become and the person I want to become.  I learned through her what it means to be a Preach my Gospel Missionary.  I learned through her that happiness is a choice.  I learned through her the meaning of pressing forward in faith.  I learned through her the importance of diligence and hard work.  I learned through her what it means to be a literal servant of the Lord.  I truly hope you have the opportunity to meet her someday, and if not she's one of the very first people I'm introducing you to in the next life :)

I get my new companion tomorrow.  Sister Are, she is Filipina and she will be dying next transfer, which means I will kill two missionaries.  I am staying in the same area and both Sister Morrell and Sister Verdeflore are staying!


I ate a star apple this week.. so yummy :)

Dad told me about what he did with the primary children by blind folding them and teaching them about faith.. I ended up using that four times this week! It was such a hit with the little kids.  Especially when you go into a home and find out you're in charge of family night for eighteen something kids-- so thanks papa

I miss you all in the best kind of way!

Love always,

Sister Welling

Visiting with Elder and Sister Echo Hawk


A wonderful day!

Sister Sabiano and Sister Welling with Sister Echo Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment