Love Always, Sister Welling

Love Always, Sister Welling
"I promise that because of your faithful response to the call to spread the gospel, He will bind up your broken hearts, dry your tears, & set you & your families free. That is my missionary promise to you & your missionary message to the world" — Jeffrey R. Holland

Sunday, February 23, 2014

"CONSIDER THE LILIES"


Aren't they the cutest:)

WEEK SIXTEEN
 
Hello to my dear family,

Another full, wonderful, eventful, spiritual, difficult, rewarding, exhausting, hilarious week in the Philippines. There are times I just sit back and ask myself, how did I get here? Who would have ever thought that at the age of nineteen I would be living in a third world country, sitting on the  floor of homes, teaching and testifying about our Savior.

Well you have a heartbroken daughter... We had to say goodbye to our investigator Liew this week.  My heart is absolutely broken that our lessons with Liew have to come to an end.  I know Liew will be baptized in Singapore, and I wish I could see him in white.  In saying goodbye I just wanted to continue telling this sweet family how much I loved them.  It’s funny how as a missionary- working in the name of our Savior you feel His love through you- it comes so fast and It’s such a genuine real love.  There's nothing like it.  Seeing the divine potential of individuals and families.  Desiring their salvation.  I just love the Win Hong family. 
Our last lesson together was powerful.  We taught the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The spirit surrounded the room.  I wanted to leave Liew with what I really really believed.  I wanted him to know and understand and feel my testimony in our last meeting.  I wanted him to remember that from me.  Throughout the lesson he continued to express what he has learned for himself to be true, since we began teaching.  He's all the way through 2 Nephi and he knows that the Book of Mormon is true, he repeated those words over and over.  He said that our church answers the questions that his other church could not- where did we come from.  He said that other churches just say to do good- be good.  But our church has commandments and structure.  It actually shows HOW to do good.  What we need to do in this life.  He said whenever he says angry words to his wife he immediately starts praying for forgiveness and that he has felt himself become more loving and patient.  When he was upset at night he used to go outside and "smoke and smoke and smoke" but now he reads the Book of Mormon.  In teaching Liew I felt the spirit literally work through me.  Brother Liew helped teach me of the person I want to become  He taught me through his example.  He helped strengthen my testimony of prayer, of the Atonement, of the Plan of Salvation, of the truthfulness and power of this gospel.  I can't wait to see him again whether it be in this life or the next.  I will forever pray for the Win Hong family.


Zone conference was the spiritual fill that I needed.  I know that my mission President has been called of God.  He is such a kind, thoughtful, intelligent man.  Every time he speaks, I ask myself how did he know that I needed to hear that?  I'm so blessed to be able to learn from them.
However, the highlight for me during Zone Conference were the testimonies of the four new couple missionaries.  I just pictured my sweet grandparents standing there at the pulpit.  I thought of my grandma and grandpa Welling, and my grandma and grandpa Brown. 
The couple missionaries just stood and cried, I was so touched by their spirits, and their genuine love for us.
Oh they're so good.  It made me long for my sweet grandparents, but I truly felt their love and support surround me.

 Then when the musical number was “Consider the Lilies”… sung at both my grandparents  funerals.. you best believe I just cried and cried. 
I feel them so close to me while I'm serving.. I wish I could explain.  I feel all three of them bearing me up and strengthening me, I know they're so close- I feel them so close.

Sister Sabiano bore her testimony at the closing of the meeting.  Sister Sabiano shared her story with all of the missionaries.  It is one that I've heard more than once but it hit me stronger than before and I wanted to tell you a little bit about my incredible companion.
Sister Sabiano....My Nanay
The night before Sister Sabiano left on her mission her parents told her that if she left she couldn't come back.  She spent months preparing for her mission and every time she would come home from working with the missionaries her father would slap her.  The morning that Sister Sabiano left for her mission not a single member of her family was home.  She hasn't received a single letter since she has been serving in her eighteen months. 
On her mission she has completely given herself over to the Lord.  Every week she emails her family about her spiritual experiences and the blessings she has received from serving, even if she knows they won't respond. 
When Yolanda happened she was finally able to talk to her parents and her mother said that she knows that her families life was spared because of Sister Sabiano's service.
Their  hearts are being softened and she will return home.. She knows that the Lord has worked this miracle because of her faithful service.  I know she is right.

I wish I had time to write all the details.  To write all the details of what my companion has taught me.  But all I can say is that I've been blessed beyond measure. 


A few things from the week-

After an appt. we were walking and I started asking Sister Sabiano about the different trees and plants.  Every single one was some kind of fruit.. and they were all fruits I had never heard of! Seriously I loved it. Seriously I love the Philippines

Brother Liew said when they're in Malaysia for a few weeks visiting his family that they're going to find the church.. and meet with the missionaries in secret. ha he cracks me up.  I don't doubt that he'll do just that

Sister Sabiano and I have a rule that we will not go home unhappy.  So if we've had a disappointing day or evening we do something that will make us happy before we return home.. it usually includes finding corn and buying it :)

President visited our appt.  he reminded me of a loving father.. checking every single lock telling us of everything we needed to do to check our safety

I think I'm going to need to meet with President.  I have more than one boyfriend.. All under the age of ten.. or over the age of sixty.

I got your package!!!! Oh my gosh it was perfect!  All of us sisters roasted the starbursts over the gas stoveJ) 

okay really there are a million things that have happened, but I don't have any time.. so until next week :)

To answer your question Mom, our investigators are still progressing, which is the most incredible thing to be a part of.  We have four investigators who will have their baptismal interview this Saturday and then three more next Saturday.  Which means we have finished all the lessons with them and this week we'll just focus on preparing them for the interview and checking their understanding and personal testimony of everything we've taught. Their baptisms are set for March 8 and March 15.
I'm famous because I know Sister Chandler Welling! This is a missionary from her mission!


Chan's Anak
I LOVE YOU ALL!

Love Always,
Sister Welling

No comments:

Post a Comment